Covana covers offer premium quality and superior protection compared to other types of hot tub covers. So, if you’re considering this brand, then you’re on the right track.
However, before making your final choice, it’s vital to know all there is to know about Covana covers. You should be familiar with their material, durability, level of protection, and extra features so that you’re sure you’re making the right decision.
In this guide, we’ll cover all of those factors as well as the best ways to maintain your Covana cover to ensure you’re getting the most out of your investment.
A hot tub or swim spa cover is just what the name implies–a cover that acts as a barrier between your hot tub or swim spa and the environment. It helps protect your precious investment from dirt and debris as well as the outdoor elements.
There are various types of hot tub covers and brands for you to consider. For example, you can choose a basic hot tub cover or a more customized version. Or you might opt for a cover that opens and closes automatically, requiring minimal effort on your part.
Whatever the case, there’s no way around getting a hot tub cover. If you want to keep your hot tub clean and in good shape, you need an effective cover that will last for a long time.
If you already own a hot tub or swim spa cover, it could be time to replace it. A hot tub cover that needs replacing often won’t work to protect your hot tub like it used to.
Here are some telltale signs it’s time for a new one:
- Torn, cracked, dry, or brittle vinyl
- Sagging, puddling cover or gaps in the outer seal
- Torn hinges
- Musty or moldy smell
- Heaviness from absorbing too much water
- High energy costs from heating water
There’s a range of benefits you can reap from using a Covana cover for your hot tub or swim spa. These include:
- Heat insulation: Covana hot tub covers can insulate your hot tub or swim spa against heat loss. As a result, water will heat up faster and you won’t need to use as much heat and energy. Even though your hot tub already has insulation within its walls, not covering it will reduce this benefit. Heat loss, rainwater, and freezing snow can all contribute to a decrease in water temperature. This leads to an increase in energy usage to build the temperature back up.
- Energy efficiency: Because Covana covers provide superior insulation, your hot tub or swim spa doesn’t have to use as much energy to keep the water warm.
- Protection: Covana covers provide shade, reduce wind, and keep out precipitation. This gives you the chance to enjoy your hot tub anytime. Plus, it protects the interior components of your swim spa.
- Safety: A Covana cover will close and lock down your hot tub securely. As a result, it’ll keep children, animals, and intruders out when it’s not in use. Whether you’re fast asleep or on vacation, you can rest assured that your hot tub or swim spa is locked up tight.
- Ease of use: The Covana cover is compatible with all brands of swim spas and hot tubs. This means that you can install it on a variety of surfaces, while still offering the perfect fit. Plus, with the turn of a key or the push of a button, you can raise your Covana cover automatically, with great ease.
There are different types of hot tub covers you might consider for your backyard oasis. It’s important to choose the right type for your unique preferences and needs.
- Soft spa covers: These covers usually have a durable, vinyl fabric that are lightweight. This fabric is often stretchable, meaning you can stretch it over the top of your swim spa or hot tub, and then fasten it to the spa cabinets. Some soft spa covers contain vinyl pillows to prevent rainwater from pooling up during storms. Soft spa covers don’t offer thermal protection, which means they won’t be effective in keeping your hot tub warm.
- Hard spa covers: The most popular type of hot tub cover is the hard spa cover. It’s made of vinyl and foam cores. Their construction allows them to fit your hot tub exactly, helping them seal the edges of your hot tub. This, along with their high R-value (insulated material) is what makes hard spa covers a great choice if you’re looking for superior thermal protection.
- Aluminum spa covers: Aluminum spa covers contain aluminum plates that house a Styrofoam core. Styrofoam is an ideal material for keeping water out, which increases the overall durability of the cover. However, aluminum spa covers don’t offer a skirt on the edge of the spa, which means insulation isn’t as good as other types of covers,
Covana is one of the leading brands of hot tub covers. The brand offers different types of covers that suit different needs.
- Covana Oasis: The Covana Oasis is more than just a hot tub cover. It also functions as an automated gazebo. Plus, it features a water-tight seal that offers superior insulation, which reduces heating costs. It also has retractable shades, offering you a private space to relax. The Oasis also features an LED lighting system for added ambiance.
- Covana Legend: The Covana Legend is a retractable hot tub cover you can operate with the turn of a key. It also offers better insulation than traditional hot tub covers. When you close it, the cover will also keep kids, intruders, and animals out of your swim spa. And even when open, it’ll protect you against the elements. The Covana Legend is best for rectangular and oval swim spas.
- Covana Evolution: The Covana Evolution hot tub cover is compatible with square, rectangular, and round hot tubs. It’s also adjustable, which gives it greater flexibility when it comes to fitting larger hot tubs. Like the Legend, the Covana Evolution cover offers ease of use, allowing you to adjust it with the turn of a key.
- Covana Horizon: The Covana Horizon offers an energy-efficient design because its insulation value is higher than a standard cover, sealing your spa and keeping the heat and energy in. This cover also features an aluminum construction, which will provide years of trouble-free protection and performance. In addition to its energy-saving and durable features, the Covana Horizon cover has an automatic cover lifter that allows you to access your hot tub in seconds. And when you’re in your hot tub or swim spa, you can automatically angle the cover to easily protect your skin from the sun and rain.
Now that you have some background knowledge about Covana covers, you can make a more informed decision about which one to choose for your backyard oasis.
While you likely can’t go wrong with any Covana cover, it’s important to choose one that best fits your needs and will provide the best possible functionality for you and your family.
Things to consider for the best hot tub or swim spa cover include:
- Material: The material a hot tub or swim spa cover is made of is an important component to consider. A hot tub cover’s material often directly correlates with its ability to withstand the elements and insulate heat to prevent heat loss. Consider looking for a hot tub cover that offers durable manufacturing details. This might include heavy-duty stitching and marine-grade vinyl. Aluminum is also a good material to look for in a hot tub cover, but keep in mind insulation isn’t as effective with this material.
- Size/Measurements: The size of your hot tub cover is also another essential consideration when looking for the best product. If your hot tub cover doesn’t fit properly and offer a tight seal, this can cause heat to escape. A great feature of Covana Evolution covers is that they’re adjustable, which means they can fit a wide range of hot tub and swim spa types.
- Durability: When looking for a cover to protect your investment, you need something that will stand the test of time. If the wind can cause your hot tub cover to easily blow away or the rain can cause its material to disintegrate, then it’s not a very durable product. Choosing the right material and ensuring the perfect fit can help you ensure the durability of your hot tub cover.
- Safety: If you have children or your backyard doesn’t have a privacy fence, choosing a hot tub cover that offers maximum protection is critical. Your cover should lock securely to keep children and intruders out without your knowledge or supervision.
While Covana covers have a durable design that requires relatively little maintenance, it’s still important to take measures to keep it in tip-top shape for as long as possible.
- Handle your cover with care. If your hot tub cover consists of a water-resistant vinyl outer layer and a foam core, water can penetrate the material if there are holes, rips, or other damage. As a result, this hinders your cover from doing its job. Even though Covana covers are automatic and require minimal handling, it’s still important to keep your cover away from sharp edges and rough surfaces.
- Keep your cover dry. When the weather is nice, lift your cover off your hot tub and let it dry out for a couple of hours. This can help keep your cover nice and light as well as prevent water logging.
- Keep your cover clear. Never allow snow or ice to accumulate on top of your hot tub cover. The weight of ice and snow can cause your cover to sag in the center. This could result in the seal breaking, which can reduce the cover’s ability to insulate heat.
- After adding chemicals, leave your hot tub open. The chemicals you use to treat the water in your hot tub need ventilation to work properly. If you close your hot tub cover right after treating the water, you risk trapping chemical vapors in the cover and damaging the material.
- Clean your cover occasionally with soap or water. Every few weeks, it’s important to clean your hot tub cover to prevent chemical damage, safeguard it from everyday wear and tear, and reduce mold growth. To clean your hot tub cover, remove it from your hot tub and place the cover on a smooth, flat surface. For the underside of your cover, use a water hose to wash off dirt, leaves, and other debris. For the outside of the cover, use a vinyl cleaner the hot tub manufacturer recommends to clean it. You can also use a water and vinegar solution. Refrain from using harsh cleaning agents such as bleach or detergents. Rinse the cover thoroughly to remove all traces of the cleanser. Then, leave it to air dry.
- Use a vinyl protectant or conditioner. After your hot tub cover is completely dry, use a UV vinyl protection spray to protect it against the damaging effects of the sun.
A quality hot tub cover makes all the difference in creating the perfect backyard oasis. Hopefully, the information in this article gives you enough insight into choosing the best Covana cover for your hot tub or swim spa.
At Idaho Spas, we offer a wide range of Covana hot tub covers for a variety of needs. Whether you want extra features or basic functionality, we have you covered.
Get in touch with our expert team today for more information about Covana covers and how they can provide your hot tub with the best possible protection. Also, feel free to check out our FAQ page or blog to learn more about our offerings.